Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pickin' up PawPaws




Where, oh where, Is dear little Nellie?
Where, oh where, Is dear little Nellie?
Where, oh where, Is dear little Nellie?
Way down yonder In the pawpaw patch.

Come on, boys, Let's go find her.
Come on, boys, Let's go find her,
Come on, boys, Let's go find her,
Way down yonder In the pawpaw patch.

Pickin’ up pawpaws,
Puttin' 'em in your pocket,
Pickin’ up pawpaws,
Puttin' 'em in your pocket,
Pickin’ up pawpaws,
Puttin' 'em in your pocket,
Way down yonder
In the pawpaw patch.

I remember my Grandpa singing this to me.  Imagine my surprise to find out I have a PawPaw Patch of my own down by one of my creeks!  Whenever I go down there I'm always reminded of him and our walks in the woods when I was young.  

Every spring they are covered with these deep burgundy blooms.  They bloom in early April and IF they get pollinated and IF we don’t get another frost ( that’s BIG IF’s, seems  we almost always get a killing frost) there’ll be some of the most delicious fruits about Oct.!   
I know, they're really weird looking! 

Sooo, I came across one of my photos of a bloom and decided to take a break from Booker and do something with a little color.  Sometimes I just have to get away from a piece and come back to it to keep from getting bored and getting sloppy.  This was a nice little distraction.

 I started with a grisaille using Tuscan red and Marine green.  And I did not use any black!!  That was my challenge for myself, to do a painting without using any black.  That's very hard for me!  I want to grab that black pencil sooo bad.....















  All CP (can you believe it no watercolor!)  
  This is a small one, only about 6x6
140lb. Arches Aquarelle
 
And now back to Booker.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...